US Open Schedule Top 4 and British watch

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: US Open Schedule Top 4 and British watch

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 18:56

I do feel though that the problems Andy has are within him. The odd thing is during the match last night in those first two sets he was muttering stuff like 'That wasn't the gameplan' etc and after the match he recognised this in his interviews that the third set was how he wanted to play the match from the start. He therefore has to ask himself why he didn't. Was he banking on a cautious start to get games on the board? If so that game works against Young, Devvarman, Isner etc but not against Rafa, Novak and Roger he MUST attack from the start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 19:29

I feel more sorry for the Swedes. They have to pin their hopes on Soderling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 19:32

I wonder whether this is not what happens in the newspapers, You build them up, put them on a pedestal, and then you knock 'em down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 19:38

Pre-match yesterday I did say he should look at the video of the 2008 US Open. Like I said in that match he was forced to play aggressively from the start as bad weather was on it's way and Andy wanted a quick conclusion and so was ultra-aggressive and guess what? He won.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 19:41

Yep, my heads very sore and I'm not as rich as Andy. I haven't got an iota of his talent and couldn't sit in an interview chair after a loss like that and handle it as well as him.

I'm an armchair critic, conveniently situated in front of a TV and have all the ideas about how he could play better under the sun. I'm not an expert at coaching tennis and have never played on a centre stage under the pressures that he has to endure.

But I'm long enough in the tooth to recognise his faults and it doesn't matter what he achieves in the tennis world, if it doesn't include a slam title. He won't be remembered for his class or his skills and talents, but as the wannabee that never did.

I can't change that, that's how history works.

I definitely think he deserves to remembered for something higher and he should be in the record books under "Slams won....(*)".

That is just my opinion and I can't help myself but berate him when he doesn't play to his full capacity, because he has the tools to do the job if applied in a manner suitable to his game.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 21:07

We have another Boys Junior Grand Slam Champion after a seven year wait: Oliver Golding defeats the number 1 seed Jiri Vasely 5:7 6:3 6:4 to become the 2011 Junior US Open Champion clap

The last boys winner was of course Andy Murray in 2004.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 21:09

Fingers crossed he can make the transition to the senior circuit and become Britain's next tennis star capable of challenging to win events and eventually slams.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 21:10

Liam Broady(17), Kyle Edmund(16) and George Morgan(18) are also others to look out for for the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 11 Sep 2011 - 21:14

I hope he goes to Spain and not Roehampton.

But well done to the lad. Really good performance coming back from a set down.

Liam Brody is in my sights, I think he has wonderful potential.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 18:51

Haven't been able to get back to post re Andys loss to Rafa , but I've missed a whole lot of analytical posts by y'all. Where ever Andy comes in his matches I am just proud to say that I support him with the downs as well as the ups. 4 slam semis this year is not a bad thing. Rafa and Novak have moved a little further this year, Fed and Andy maintaining their 3 & 4 rankings. Andy can overtake Fed to No.3 by the end of the year. He may or may not win a slam but he can be proud of the achievements he has made in tennis and the promotion of tennis to the new generation as an ultimate professional. Long may his career last. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 18:52

Big well done to Oli Golding. Fantastic achievement for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 21:59

MTS1 wrote:Haven't been able to get back to post re Andys loss to Rafa , but I've missed a whole lot of analytical posts by y'all. Where ever Andy comes in his matches I am just proud to say that I support him with the downs as well as the ups. 4 slam semis this year is not a bad thing. Rafa and Novak have moved a little further this year, Fed and Andy maintaining their 3 & 4 rankings. Andy can overtake Fed to No.3 by the end of the year. He may or may not win a slam but he can be proud of the achievements he has made in tennis and the promotion of tennis to the new generation as an ultimate professional. Long may his career last. Very Happy

Well said.

Today I was thinking when some WUM on 606 mentioned 2004 French Open winner Gaston Gaudio being better than Murray as he has won a slam but I don not agree for a moment. Okay Andy hasn't won a slam but aside from that his achievements in tennis far outweigh those of one slam wonders who won without having to face Federer, Nadal and Djokovic on the way to their triumph. Now in this case match up say the two men:-

Gaston Gaudio

Australian Open Best Performance:- 3rd Round

French Open Best Performance:- Won in 2004

Wimbledon Best Performance:- 2nd Round

US Open Best Performance:- 3rd Round

Slam Semis:- 1

ATP Titles:- 8

Highest Ranking:- 5

Andy Murray

Australian Open Best Performance:- Runner-Up in 2010 and 2011

French Open Best Performance:- Semi-Finals in 2011

Wimbledon Best Performance: Semi-Finalist in 2009, 2010 and 2011

US Open Best Performance:- Runner-Up in 2008

Slam Semis:- 8

ATP Titles:- 18

Highest Ranking:- 2

No comparison there at all and proof that winning a slam is prestigious etc but it doesn't make players like Gaudio half the player Andy is in my opinion.

PS Cracking men's final on-going and Djokovic has surged into a lead at 4-2 in the first set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 19:04

Craig, thats the reason I stopped going into v2 and 606 when it was open. I enjoy reading useful stats and opinions, but some WUM's purely live up to the name by posting any old guff just to get a reaction from true fans of the players we follow. A couple of years back I got really riled by one and from then on in I just didn't bother reading anything they posted. After a while whatever WUM's posted didn't bother me. And it wasn't just about Andy, there are Fed/Nadal/Novak WUM's and it just got to the stage where a few faithful continued to try and argue the point but i just think the WUM's of the world are best ignored. Some actually went away when regular posters used that approach Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 21:24

Well, another Slam has come and gone and Andy is yet to win one......but like MTS rightly says, Andy should be very proud of his achievements.

You've all made enough interesting comments about Andy, on this thread, so there's no need for me to add anything else.

We're now going to have to wait until the Australian Open for Andy to have another stab at a Slam title.

I love the AO....it's my favourite Slam event.....it's where I first noticed how brilliant Andy was Very Happy ....it was the year he got flu and had to come home Sad ......I think he'd have won that one if he hadn't been ill......says me, the tennis expert lol.

Whenever Andy has a loss like we've just seen, I have a little sulk for a while then I get right back behind him again

'coz he's our boy and we should all be very proud of him

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 21:43

Bah humbug !!

Did someone mention xmas ! arrgghh!

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Andys schedule

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 22:03

Next in action against Hungary In Glasgow this weekend, 16-18 Sep.

Followed by a 250 in Bangkok on 26th September.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum