Australian Open

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian Open

Post by Guest on Tue 4 Oct 2011 - 20:12

The Australian Open in 2012 is to be the richest slam in history. Men and Women's winners will collect a cool £1.4 million each. Nice pay packet for two weeks work. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Re: Australian Open

Post by Guest on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 21:12

MTS1 wrote:The Australian Open in 2012 is to be the richest slam in history. Men and Women's winners will collect a cool £1.4 million each. Nice pay packet for two weeks work. Shocked

Makes you think! -And the WTA finals in Turkey has a pot in excess of $4Million with the possibility of the winner getting around $1.6Million.(and that's for less than one weeks work)

Wonder what Borg, Mac & Co got in their day!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 21:27

A bit less in comparison.

I'm still gutted that one of our world cup winners from '66 ended up as a taxi driver.

says it all really.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 20:02

Just seen Soderling has withdrawn from 2012 Oz open. I'm not a great fan of his tennis but don't like to see him out for this long. He's targeting a return in February, I think he will lose a few ranking points right from the start of 2012 as he had a good start to 2011.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 21:35

Lets hope it is Andy picking up the big cheque eh? Yes it is sad about Soderling and I have a feeling he may struggle to be back in action by February as mono can be a long-term thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 7:30

The draw is out and Andy Murray will face US youngster and world No.84 Ryan Harrison in the First Round of the Australian Open. Should he win he is likely to pay Xavier Malisse in the Second Round. Should he get that far (here is hoping)he is seeded to face Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 10:10

Andy is taking some good early form into the match, whilst not dismissing Ryan Harrison as he has potential I would think Andy will take this relatively easily. First trials for me are his likely meetings with the onform Frenchmen Monfils, and then possibly Tsonga. I think there is potential banana skins for all top 4 seeds, none more so that Tipsaravic/Djokovic (if they get through earlier rounds) as Novak has Raonic in his section who also has shown a bit of form recently. Thats my tuppence worth Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 10:34

Yes and although Tsonga awaits potentially in the quarters I'd be quietly confident giving that Andy has a 5-1 record in head-to-heads between the pair. I get the distinct impression that at least one of the top four may not make the semis in Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 15:30

Murray has probably the toughest draw of the top 4, but there's no one in there who I feel particularly edgy about. He has a good record against Tsonga and Frenchmen in general, with whom his draw seems littered. Hopefully he'll be a bit more tested in the QF than he was in his last couple of slams. I believe one of the reasons he struggled so badly vs Rafa was because he hadn't faced anyone of something close to that quality previously. Tsonga should give him that work-out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 18:20

A good interview from Andy's new coach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16550769.stm

Ivan doesn't give much away to the media questioning

As for the draw there is no such thing as an easy draw, easier perhaps than for some, having said that in Andy's case he possibly has the hardest, but every opponent has to be treated as a potential banana skin for all of the top players and to arrive at the final demands total effort, and in some cases an element of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 20:53

I'd not expect too much from this event.

Murray is forming a new stage in his career and it will obviously have teething problems, but if he sticks to their game plan, no matter what, then I have better than high hopes for a good ending to the year 2012.

Hie mental mettle will take a few pressurised moments to configure properly, read that as slam semi's or finals against Novak or Federer.
I reckon he may even get to the Wimbly final this year and go even deeper in the FO too.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 22:06

Yes you may be right Jubba. Time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 14 Jan 2012 - 0:29

I think it may ease the pain if Murray ever wins Wimbledon, knowing he (Ivan) had a big part in getting the trophy.

Lets hope Andy makes that happen.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Jan 2012 - 8:53

Winning Wimby would be the best feeling in the world as a fan, and knowing what it would mean to Andy, and for Ivan being part of that.

Back to the draw, the more I look at Noles section I think he has got some hard matches ahead of him with the QF ranking putting him up against Ferrer. David has shown remarkable consistency and has just won the Heinekin Open title in Auckland, his confidence must be pretty high at the moment. If Nole navigates his way through to the Semi's he may be pretty knackered. And like MFC pointed out, in Andy's section there isn't really anyone who makes you feel edgy, he has good head to head stats against the ranked players. CC may be right that not all top 4 are going to make the Semi's. Isn't tennis wonderful Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Jan 2012 - 9:00

Onto the Womens Draw, it is fantastic to see 4 British Ladies there.

goodluck to them all although Heather Watson has been handed a tough opener against the World #3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 14 Jan 2012 - 17:00

She'll do fine, even if she loses, it'll be a hard fought match from her corner. She's a fighter thats for sure.

Well she is from Guernsey, the land of my Mothers !

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 18:13

The schedule is out for Day 1. Rafa and Roger playing. Andy and Nole on Tuesday, thats another nights sleep I can have before trying to merge UK and Oz time and losing lots of Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 21:32

Yes that is the downside of the Australian Open - the time difference. Fingers crossed here for Andy and all the other Brits in action.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 18:06

I've heard that Andy will be playing Ryan Harrison between 3.00am and 3.30am - UK time (approx).

I've looked on bet365 and they have it down for 3.00am.....I'll be watching it on there.....good old bet365!

I'm going to try and get up to watch it.....as I can have a lie-in in the morning.

Good luck Andeeeeee!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 18:36

I really don't see Andy having any problems here. Hopefully, a quick energy-saving straight sets win. As for today's matches I'd say Nadal out-performed Federer. As Dog struggled for supremacy early on. Both still had very comfortable wins. A few shocks though with four seeds in the men's draw biting the dust at the first hurdle. Those were Jurgen Melzer, Juan Monaco, Fernando Verdasco and Ivan Ljubicic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 18:40

So, 5/6 brits out of the AO, and it was looking so good yesterday.

What a shame, pretty much a poor showing from all of them apart from Keothavong who limped out with an injury, but I bet Mr Draper won't be bragging about these stats today.

Just our good 'ol reliable Andy to bolster up the Brit end.

Harrison may be a little brittle, but he is dangerous. I dont expect Andy to have any problems, it may be a hard opener for him and he may lose a set, but I personally dont mind that at this stage.

3 sets to 1 to Murray. (if my head scores it, 3,0)

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 18:41

Yeah 3am is about right Sol, which is a pretty rubbish time for me, and I have a important meeting tomorrow morning. I will need to consume copious amounts of the black stuff to keep me awake. Unless the two ladies matches go longer than anticipated I'll be making use of a couple of matchsticks to prop my eyelids open.

Its been a really bad day for the Brits all 5 out Sad only Andy left to fly the UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 5:14

Early morning all,

A tardy or should I say laboured start to the Australian Open by Andy Murray. Credit to Ryan Harrison who came out all guns blazing and won the first set 6-4. Murray slowly began to get a grip though and won the second set 6-3 and has broken Harrison at the start of the third set. Fingers crossed that Murray can now power through this match. His own court demeanour has been much improved - the Lendl effect?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 5:49

Hi Craig

Things are definitely looking up for Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 17 Jan 2012 - 5:57

Sadly, though he is not stamping his authority on this third set. He has had umpteen chances to get a double break and failed to take them which is just making for a more energy sapping day for him. Still he has kept his emotions largely in check which is good. Also it is fair to say that Andy has had the toughest opponent in the First Round out of the top four seeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum