Australian Open

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Australian Open

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 21:16

I would love it (in Kevin Keegan's words) if he beat them both but if he is to lose against Djoko or whoever he plays in the final I hope he goes down putting up a great fight and wins a set or two in the process.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 21:51

Agree CC, as long as he shows improvement and enough to get a set, then the other slams would hold more realistic hope, except maybe the FO of course, but he did pretty good there last year.

Here's hoping Ferrer gives Djoko something to think about, at least a decent work out before the semi.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 4:06

Andy Murray about to step on court to play Kei Nishikori. I see Andy looking to move Nishikori around early on and sap the final reserves of Nishikori's energy before moving in for the kill. Andy's biggest challenge to date. Good luck Andy, play with your brains and a win should be well within your capabilities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 5:17

So far so good. Andy Murray takes the first set 6-3 and is testing Nishikori's stamina reserves moving him around. Also encouraging that he is not mentally beating himself up when missing key shots or break point chances - no rants or yells it is just onto the next game and then a good service hold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 6:02

It's Getting Better by Mama Cass springs to mind. Andy Murray takes a similar second set to now lead 6-3 6-3 and surely now there is no way back for Kei. A fifth successive slam semi beckons for Andy Murray. His first serve percentage must be improved for the Djokovic match though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 6:18

Andy Murray powering on to a 4-1 lead in the third set and is within reach of the semis. Nishikori now looking very tired as the match passes the two hour mark.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 6:36

Andy Murray seals a comfortable 6-3 6-3 6-1 over Nishikori to seal his fifth successive slam semi-final spot. An impressive stat that. The frightening thing is it was a comfortable win but Andy's first serve percentage was very poor today so still room for improvement and there will need to be if he is to beat or trouble Djokovic. Mentally Andy was faultless today so that is a big plus. Hats off to Kei he played his part in a very enjoyable match and I am sure we will see him in many more slam quarter-finals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 10:57

This is what I like to see. Novak Djokovic really being given a serious physical work out. With two sets completed with gruelling rallies throughout the match has already been in progress for well over two hours. Djokovic leads 6-4 7-6 but Ferrer has had his chances. The match looks set to last around three hours should Djokovic win in straight sets but there is a suspicion Djokovic is carrying a thigh/hamstring problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 10:58

He certainly doesn't look the player he was this time last year. He looks exhausted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 11:10

To be fair though I think that a lot of it is a little over-reacting on his behalf. It has to be as he is chasing down plenty of balls that looked a lost cause and getting them back. Someone physically shot just couldn't do that to the degree he has. In any case he had had an easy route to this stage with his first two hours plus match of the tournament coming against Hewitt so he has hardly been tested physically in Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 11:14

Over-reacting - or over-acting?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 11:16

Yes it could be either. I mean I cannot believe he is knackered considering the route he has had to get here and we are just at the start of the season. I hope Andy doesn't read too much into it and just sticks to a gameplan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 13:43

Mmmm, shrugging off a hamstring injury, sounds like a get out clause to me.

He looked nothing like he did in the 2nd set, he somehow managed to find fresh legs from nowhere to seal the 3rd set.

But, his breathing did look suspect and this is what Murray et al should be looking at, a way to grind him down with long rallies.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 18:07

Great to see Andy win comfortably at this stage. I have a feeling he is holding back a little and he is just about to raise his game a few notches, but that first serve needs to land in more although his return game has been fantastic. Managed to see the end of the first set and all of the second set of the Djoko-Ferrer match, my they were like a couple of gladiators slugging it out to the death. Mr Murray may just have enjoyed that Very Happy Then I read later that Djoko raced through the third for the win. Still he was pushed hard and Andy looks that bit fresher. I'm going to miss the Roger/Rafa match, so its time for the V+ to come out. I think it will be a cracker, but I tip Fed to take this (sorry if any Rafa fans are visiting Embarassed )

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 19:13

I don't know if Federer has the legs for a smorgasbord type marathon match, but Nadal does, unless his win against Berdych took everything he had left, but somehow I dont think so, his biceps are huge and his legs look like they can stand another testing time.

I never seen Nadals arms look so Herculean, they make Murrays look like twigs.

Although, a certain female has bigger arms it seems... http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/tennis-australian-open-2012/images/sam-stosur-gallery.jpg

Last edited by Jubbahey on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 19:38; edited 1 time in total

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 19:19

So is this a sign of things to come, playing one half of the draw on 1st day, then 2nd half the next day.

I've not noticed this becoming a habit in the slams, but then I've never looked that closely before. I know its been spoken of before, but was it so widespread in the past or is it a noughties thing ?

This will only guarantee that either the No1 seed will play on the day before the final and the other guy can have a day off or visa versa. Again, its been chewed on before, but I hadn't realised just how unfair this was if it is a slam wise thing. I know they are doing this to ensure they get punters every day to watch matches and the AO is expecting record numbers of crowds this year.

Money talks as always,.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 19:45

My big worry for Rafa is that the four hour plus match against Berdych will leave him drained. However, if that's not the case, and considering he has long had the Indian sign over Federer I would take Rafa to win. If Nadal is drained then I would have to go for Federer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 19:54

Yes, it was a humongous effort to turn around the Berdych match, and one has to wonder if there is anything left, but a day off and who knows, some tuna pasta and hey ho, all is good again ...

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 20:21

Jubbahey wrote:So is this a sign of things to come, playing one half of the draw on 1st day, then 2nd half the next day.

I've not noticed this becoming a habit in the slams, but then I've never looked that closely before. I know its been spoken of before, but was it so widespread in the past or is it a noughties thing ?

The Oz Open have certainly been doing this for a few years. Either Fed or Rafa will have 2 days rest before the final, while Novak or Andy will only get one. Not wonderful, but a darn sight better than the USO and their "Stupid Saturday", where they play both men's semis with the final the very next day.

Wimbledon's system is much fairer to the players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 16:48

Just watching my V+ of the Rafa/Roger match although I know Rafa won (perhaps my tipster abilities need looked at teehee law of averages mean that when its a 50-50 chance, I'm bound to get one right eventually).
Congrats to Rafa, hopefully Andy will be meeting him in the final but its gonna be mighty tough. My nerves have started already, hiding is in position. Have the whole day off tomorrow. Is there a law about drinking Beer at 8am???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 18:19

I also am very nervous about tomorrow but as long as he puts up a good fight I'll be happy. I feel that we will see further improvements in Andy's game in the coming monyths once Ivan Lendl has had more time to work with him. After all after two weeks he has already seemingly improved Andy's on court temperament and next up would like to see work done on his serve.

Anyway back to tomorrow's match and I would like to see Andy being ultra aggressive. He must pull the trigger before Novak to take away his initiative. If he tries to solely outlast him in baseline rallies there will only be one winner as we saw how masterful Djokovic was in that area against Ferrer. If the wonderfully unexpected happens tomorrow and Andy wins my belief that he can win a slam will increase tenfold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 20:52

I'm feeling quite upbeat about his match with Djoko.

I'm not fearful that he'll lose, but optimistic that he will play better than their last meeting. There's every chance he could win, but Djoko is such a good player at getting almost impossible balls back, that it will be tough to win, but its not an unlikely event, but more a level he has to achieve to bring himself into a position to win.

Onwards and upwards, there may be a few hiccups on the way, but finally, I am feeling distinctly happier about Murrays game and his attitude.

Even though this new approach hasn't really been tested yet.

Tomorrow it will, big time, no let offs or walk outs, it'll be "in ya' face Novak" with an even sterner "down ya' throat" Nadal if he wins.

But maybe for the first time, I'm actually going to enjoy the match whether he wins or loses.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 23:02

Simon Reed = The Death Knell

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/simon-reed/federer-kvitova-thrive-australia-154948901.html

He is such a numpty....LOL

I like his title too..... "Eurosport EXPERT" lol!

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 23:11

I am worried about this:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16735658.stm

Basically Andy talking about his tactics for tomorrow and saying he'll be patient and pick the right moments to be aggressive. If he does that he leaves the door open for Djokovic to hit his winners first. I hope this isn't the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 23:38

Probably Lendl has told him to say misleading things. That would be his style!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum