Australian Open

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Australian Open

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 12:15

Damn. Going to have to head to work in around half an hour at the latest. Looks like I will miss the end of the match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 12:18

And obn that bad note - another Djoko break to lead 3-0 I must now begin to head to work. Grrrrr. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 12:22

Andy can't take the gamble of winner takes all in the 5th. Thats a dangerous game to play, but I don't think he can do much now he's given Nole two breaks in the 4th Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 12:32

Very concerned now, that was too easy for Nole. 2-2 The fact that Andy lost his service game again, means Nole serves first in the decider. Advantage swings to Djokovic.

Whatever the outcome of this, I don't see either of them recovering in time to have a gruelling duel with Rafa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 12:43

Keep the faith MTS1. It's not over til it's over.

Come on Andy!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 12:54

cats_r_cool wrote:
MTS1 wrote:
Cheers for the support Cats, if Andy wins we need to go through these emotions all over again on Sunday Shocked . But I ain't getting ahead of myself, this match isn't over yet. Andy has just broken Nole to lead 2-1 on serve.

If Andy wins today (and I really hope he does), you're on your own

Lol! Cats

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:00

Hi Sol

Being an Andy fan for the day is exhausting!!

Come on Andy!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:08

Nole eventually breaks and then holds to go 5-2 in the 5th Sad
Andy can hold his head up high, this has been top class tennis, and losing to the World #1 in this form, well he shouldn't beat himself up too much. Although I think he will and we'll need to see how he is over the next few weeks.
Well done Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:19

Andy is doing himself proud here....and it's not over yet.

Hi Cats and MTS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:28

hugging Hi Sol, what a match this has been. Both of these players will be applauded by all after this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:33

MTS1 wrote: Hi Sol, what a match this has been. Both of these players will be applauded by all after this.

Yes...Murray's not going down without a fight.

I've had another guess at your song btw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:37

What a match. congratulations to Novak, congratulations to Andy. Lovely embrace at the end from both. Makes you proud to be a fan of this sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:38

Sad Sad Sad Sad

Well played Andy...really proud of you!

Congrats to Djokovic.

I'm getting behind Rafa now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:41

Sad What a shame for Andy, he was so close. What a fighter and he did you all proud

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 13:44

Well surely nobody can say he didn't put up a fight!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:04

Great match and congrats to both players for an excellent match.

Andy can take a lot away from this match and remember he has only had Ivan behind him for three weeks.

The future looks bright.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 14:05

Followed the end of the match on the Australian Open application on my phone. A gutting defeat but contained a lot to be hopeful of for the future. If he had of pulled off the win today I reckon it would have had to have went down as the best big match win of his career. So near and all that with Ivan Lendl just with him for two weeks. A lot to be hopeful for in the coming year. Credit to Novak for playing a great game with his back to the wall in what turned into an epic match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 22:30

Lots of things to do for Murray, but they're all small things except his service which deserted him at important times today, but I'm really proud to be a fan of his.

It was everything I'd thought it would be, but Murray exceeded even my dreamy expectations.

I think he's proved to himself above anybody that he can play better and win sets in what was almost a final and not a semi the way it was hammered out between them.

personally, I'm glad in a way that he didnt win, I dont think his confidence could have withstood another beating from Rafa, who's playing with guts and determination on every point, every swing, in another final. Far better this way to prove he can do it and without any loss of face. With a few minor and one big tweak, between now and Wimbly, I reckon he stands a better than good chance of playing well enough in a final to put any contender in trouble.

In fact his best performance was no performance from him, a bit of ire in his attitude and he was on fire, and totally outplayed Djoko for 4 games in the 3rd set, it was stunning to watch and I'm such a happy bunny that he has finally buried the ghost of his petulant past.

Well done Andy clap (and well done Ivan ! for doing nothing in such a remarkable way)

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 22:58

Jubbahey wrote:Lots of things to do for Murray, but they're all small things except his service which deserted him at important times today, but I'm really proud to be a fan of his.

It was everything I'd thought it would be, but Murray exceeded even my dreamy expectations.

I think he's proved to himself above anybody that he can play better and win sets in what was almost a final and not a semi the way it was hammered out between them.

personally, I'm glad in a way that he didnt win, I dont think his confidence could have withstood another beating from Rafa, who's playing with guts and determination on every point, every swing, in another final. Far better this way to prove he can do it and without any loss of face. With a few minor and one big tweak, between now and Wimbly, I reckon he stands a better than good chance of playing well enough in a final to put any contender in trouble.

In fact his best performance was no performance from him, a bit of ire in his attitude and he was on fire, and totally outplayed Djoko for 4 games in the 3rd set, it was stunning to watch and I'm such a happy bunny that he has finally buried the ghost of his petulant past.

Well done Andy clap (and well done Ivan ! for doing nothing in such a remarkable way)

Agree entirely - pity it didn't have the same effect on legendkillar - a supposed Murray fan!, he is a beyond belief ( seen his article & posts?) - that dude has serious problems I'm afraid.

An MTO is required - he spends way too much time on v2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 23:33

LK's a rubber poster, keeps bouncing back.

Just looked back over the comments today, and it really summarises what a fantastic match it was, yeah, he lost in the end, but even Mats Wilander reckons its been and probably will be the best match of the tournament.

I liked his comments on GameSet&Mats tonight (eurosport) he likes Andy's new attitude, his aggression levels and his determination to stay in a point. He reckons Lendl's influence will take a few months to kick in properly and it has to be done one step at a time.

1st step....... mental fortitude = box ticked

2nd step..... 1st serve accuracy = tbc

etc etc.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 0:25

Andy was immense today. Yes he lost but he lost in a manner that says he can compete with the very best players in the world in the latter stages of slams. When Andy went a set and a break down I thought here we go again and then came the fightback - a fightback like we have never seen before from Andy against one ranked so highly in a slam semi. His mental attitude was spot on with no rants and he was very aggressive - more so than Djokovic. I am not sure what happened in the fourth set though (one for Lendl to work on) and when all looked finished in the fifth set at 2-5 he fought back again. It was a flip of the coin who won that match today and at last Andy has proved he can live with and mix it with the best players in the world in the latter stages of slams.

An epic match that won Andy many admirers but still I see areas where he can improve ie serving, break point conversion and tensing up on key shots and key stages. Sort them out and he would have won today against the world no.1.

Tonight I feel a heck of a lot more confident Andy can win a slam and more crucially I think he does now as well. Bring on the rest of the season. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 0:45

Thank god my preconceptions were realised, i was a bit worried when I found out the score half way through the 1st set, but I wasn't disappointed.

It does bode well and I think Murray is playing doiwn the amount of confidence he will gain from this. It was always a question of choking in moments like this for the last 3 years and its looks like he's put paid to them finally. Not that they were right of course, but its a fine line between mental fragility and choking.

I've never subscribed to feelings that Murray ever tanked a match of choked one, but we did have serious doubts about his mental strength to contain pressure and focus fully at crucial times.

Wimbledon pressure never helped and thats why he did better at the US open for years as we all know.

So all in all, a great start to the new year, the 1st slam and Brisbane of course.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 0:51

One observation I did make is the amount of key shots Andy netted when he had plenty of time on the shot. It would be when Djoko hit a dead ball back and you could see Andy tense up and he'd pull it into the net. The same when he hit a dropping ball on a drive volley way too long (again a shot that he had time on). It is akin to strikers in football. You get the instinctive strikers who invariably score if they have a split second to hit the ball without thinking but others are not so great at finishing when they have time on the ball and on one on ones with the keeper. Andy really seems the instinctiove sort. Give him time to think and he lose impetus if you see what I mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 9:58

Jubbahey wrote:

I totally agree with you Jubba, the more the match went on the more I became convinced that no matter who won, they would struggle badly in the final the way Rafa is playing and the ability to keep running forever, and them having little recovery time. IMHO it would have been worse for Andy to lose another final knackered than step out heroically at the semi stage. His performance however may now mean that the 3 players above him would want to miss him in the semi's and not see him as an easier route to the final, as by the time they get there (if they do) they may not have the legs to carry them over the finishing line. All in all I am very encouraged by oor lad's performance. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 20:33

Yes, it was a telling point that it took Djokovic 5 sets to beat Andy.

If that had been a final, then the records would say, finally, he has taken a set. Both Andy and ourselves all feel he has the potential to do some real damage now, not just on paper, but in reality, as we saw it happen.

For Murray, he must be feeling that its not an insurmountable objective anymore. The next time he is in a slam final, memories of taking the No1 seed to a 5th set, not just in his mind , but also in his adversaries, will give him the confidence boost to play his game and not be pressured into making unrealistic shots based on the competition the other side of the net.

I see it more as a grounding of his nature. Finally he can rest assured he has the game and the mental ability to ride the up and downs of slam competitions and have the game to beat the top players when it becomes necessary.

He has managed to elevate himself above the bog of despair he must have had, when faced with any of the top 3 at a semi or final. I think he now has enough self belief to go further than the semis and one stop more than a 2nd place finalist.

All this is just half the things he needs to win one, the other half is ironing out the little niggles with his physical game and the problem with his service action. Like many have said, these can all be improved upon, so I sense a real turnaround in his game since Lendl joined forces and an impetus that should put him in good stead the next time he meets his Nemesis's.

(Actually, thinking about it, this will put more pressure on the top 3 to play even better against him, that will only force them to make errors more often, another good thing for his CV credentials)

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum