Shanghai Masters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Shanghai Masters

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 10:29

I think they're all having a go at the unconformity of tournie balls recently.

It would make sense to minimalise the variety that is on offer, but I suppose that is part and parcel of turning up at an event, being able to play the different courts and their playing characteristics.

But this does play into some peoples hands who prefer certain ball/court combinations.

PS, I was hoping you'd say it was eurosport, I've got Virgin now, but I couldn't afford the extra dosh to go the whole hog and get Sky 1-4.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 17:15

Andy Murray is through to the semi-finals of the Shanghai Masters in beating Australia's Matthew Ebden 6-3 6-2. A couple of wins away now from becoming world No.3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 18:10

Nice win for Andy today. And I can wtach the match live tomorrow. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 18:19

To be honest the only player that would be likely to trouble him is the Japanese one he is playing in the semi tomorrow, having never played him and being an unknown quantity.

Either of the Spaniards I don't see being a problem having a H2H of 6-0 against Lopez and having beat Ferrer the last three times on hard court, which he has never beaten Andy on.

So as they say it's now his to lose!

But I don't think that he will dogood

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 19:01

ATP have posted this of Andy in an ice bath being interviewed after the match yesterday. They are looking for captions, some funny ones, including 'and Roger really uses one of these', I like 'you've asked me that many questions my ice cubes have melted!'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2011 - 19:05

Another piece of 'off topic' (kind of). Andy was asked after his match to day why he has stopped tweeting. Apparently as all tennis players are supersticious, he said that since he has stopped tweeting he hasn't lost a game (last tweet was early September) and he isn't about to start again any time soon. Nice bit of humour that he blamed his US Open loss on tweeting too much!! He is now focussing all his energy on winning!!! Doing very well too, long may it continue Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 0:38

If any of you missed the match......only the first few games though. Maybe more to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba14NjHE1J4

chance to brush up on ya Spanish too

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 11:04

I'm not sure what this tournament is doing to the players but there is some raw emotion out there. Ferrer just received a warning for slamming his racquet into the net right under the umpire. Andy has also voiced some colourful language the past couple of days and Wawrinka trashed his racquet when playing Andy, (I think he also received a warning). The desire to win is indeed a fierce one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 11:12

I'm not sure if you all have access to The Herald, or if the online edition would have this but there is a comment editorial headlined 'Nadal defection serves up possibility of boycott over UK endorsement tax' It seems Rafa will choose not to play Queens next year due to the high rate of tax he has to pay our HMRC. He will play in Germany instead. This is very worrying as apparantly it may only get worse. It goes on to say this was the reason Usain Bolt defected from the Diamond League in London last year. It may also impact on Golf greats who play in the Open and Ryder Cup. HMRC's stance is that it appears to place a premium on each day spent in Britain, and on each event contested.
For those of you in the know Andre Agassi took HMRC to court in 2004 re this, lost the first round, appealed - won, then was again overturned in Lords.
The fact that we only have Queens and Wimbledon to attract the top players, this to me is not good news. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 11:27

MTS1 wrote:I'm not sure if you all have access to The Herald, or if the online edition would have this but there is a comment editorial headlined 'Nadal defection serves up possibility of boycott over UK endorsement tax' It seems Rafa will choose not to play Queens next year due to the high rate of tax he has to pay our HMRC. He will play in Germany instead. This is very worrying as apparantly it may only get worse. It goes on to say this was the reason Usain Bolt defected from the Diamond League in London last year. It may also impact on Golf greats who play in the Open and Ryder Cup. HMRC's stance is that it appears to place a premium on each day spent in Britain, and on each event contested.
For those of you in the know Andre Agassi took HMRC to court in 2004 re this, lost the first round, appealed - won, then was again overturned in Lords.
The fact that we only have Queens and Wimbledon to attract the top players, this to me is not good news. Sad

I think it is more of a storm in a teacup. Okay it will be a blow for Queen's but he'll still be at Wimbledon with all guns blazing and I really can't see it impacting other sports. In my opinion that is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 11:45

Jubbahey wrote:If any of you missed the match......only the first few games though. Maybe more to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba14NjHE1J4

chance to brush up on ya Spanish too

Thanks Jubba.

Andy should always play in black Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 11:55

I think it is more of a storm in a teacup. Okay it will be a blow for Queen's but he'll still be at Wimbledon with all guns blazing and I really can't see it impacting other sports. In my opinion that is.[/quote]

I hope you are right CC, I'll watch with interest. As it has already impacted on Athletics with Usain Bolt last year I'm not so sure. He is the big name people want to see and its not good that he chose not to attend due to this situation.

For us tennis fans Nadal is the big name people want to see at a tournament like Queens, along with Andy. Although there is usually good representation for the US players, we shall see how it peeters out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 12:35

David Ferrer awaits the winner of the Murray/Nishikori semi in the fimnal. He beat his fellow countryman Feliciano Lopez in three sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 13:24

An early break for Andy Murray who leads 2-1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 13:37

Andy's service games are rock solid. First set should be his. If he gets another break in the second this match may be over quite soon. Some nice shots from Nishikori though, he is trying to move Murray over the court, but I'm not sure he has ever come up against someone who can cover as much as the court as Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 13:41

First set to Andy Murray 6-3 inside half an hour. Andy's serve looking superb and has won all of his first serve points. Impressive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 13:53

Great shot to get the break in the second.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 14:04

Murray 4-0 with two breaks of serve. Serving for 5-0 lead now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 14:11

GS&M Andy Murray in a time of 56 minutes
Now only David Ferrer standing in the way of W#3. (oh and another trophy for the win Very Happy )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 14:11

Andy Murray helps himself to another bagel in beating Kiri Nishikori 6-3 6-0 and set up a place in the Shanghai Masters Final. That No.3 ranking is so close now he can almost touch it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2011 - 18:06

Yeah!!!

Well done Andy!

Thanks for updates, MTS and Craig.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 Oct 2011 - 10:34

A very interesting first set in the final with David Ferrer giving a good account of himself but Andy has just broken serve for the second time and leads 6-5 and will serve for the first set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 Oct 2011 - 11:19

Andy Murray on the brink of a hat-trick of titles in three weeks. He leads David Ferrer 7-5 5-3 in what has been a very entertaining final.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 Oct 2011 - 11:29

GSM to Andy Murray winning 7-5 6-4 to set up a golden hat-trick of titles and he will now become world No.3 and joint sixth in the all-time list of most successful players in the Masters Series history stretching back to 1990.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 Oct 2011 - 11:53

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum