Paris next and then WTF's

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paris next and then WTF's

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 16 Oct 2011 - 19:54

Andy is set to play Paris...

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Paris.aspx

And it says all top 4 guys will be attending, but will that be an accurate picture of events there.

With a week of between the two events, it will be an interesting 3 week peek into form going into the new year.

How well will Djokovic fare, given his injury, how much can Nadal come back into the fray given his recent losses, how well can Federer conjure up some confidence and play to his strengths once more, and how well can Murray continue his great form.

As always, the AO will throw up some strange wins and losses, but I will be very interested to see if the new Murray can turn up and build on this exciting novel style of aggressive play-making tennis we've all witnessed this past month and more.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Paris next and then WTF's

Post by Guest on Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 9:22

Hopefully the top 4 will be playing. Andy looked a little tired (and why not??) after his fantastic Asian run, so some nice days off for him to recharge his batteries is the order of the day. It will be good to have them all back playing competitavely as it brings an extra edge to the draw and matches. I read somewhere (V2 Shocked ) that Soderling has withdrawn from the next 2 tournaments, although I see he is listed for Paris, I wonder if he will make it he has lost quite a bit of this year to illness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 9:56

thats what I'm worried about, even though the players are listed, who will actually turn up eventually.

Its a 1000 event and a prelude to the WFT, so I expect all the top 5 to turn up, but Djokovic may still be carrying the injury, so its a "watch this space2 moment for a couple of weeks.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 14:47

I think it is key that Andy keeps the momentum going right up until the end of the season and on into the start of next season if possible. A win or two over the likes of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer as well would help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 22:41

Is it confirmed that he won't be playing Valencia then? Regarding Paris I think it may be more important than usual this year. Usually the top guys are all a bit tired/looking towards the WTF, and this allows a guy outisde the top few to make a run. Nalbandian was an expert at this, and Monfils has made two finals in a row.

However, this year, with Fed coming back from a decent lay-off he should be fresh and would be eager to win something I'd think, while Nole is also refreshed and will want to show he's still very much the man to beat. Murray will want to keep his run going, and Nadal will want to show he's still a force to be reckoned with too. Only Nadal of the top four looks like he's struggling a bit physically (yes Murray looked tired, but that's to be expected having played - and won - three weeks in a row, but it wasn't that "jaded" look if you know what I mean). Bodes well for a good Bercy tournament hopefully. Fast conditions should suit Murray and Fed you'd think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 21:02

Paris will poss throw up a surprise finalist, given the state of two of the top 4 players.

Nadal unconfident and Djokovic with the injury, which may or may not have gone away.

I still think Murray will be in the mix and a strong contender as a finalist.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 21:40

Would be nice to see Andy doing well in Paris however I would love it if he could put it altogether and lift that Winners Trophy at the O2.

That would definitely put him in the right frame of mind going into the AO in the New Year, especially coupled with his terrific Asian Swing victories ( and who knows what Bercy may bring!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 21:54

Hopefully, we'll see another strong tournament for Andy and will be interesting to see how he fares if he comes up against player of the season Novak Djokovic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 17:26

According to Swiss newpaper Blick, Andy is going to play in Basel before Paris. A bit of an odd decision, with both Federer and Djokovic playing there, while the highest-ranked players in Valencia are Ferrer and Monfils.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 17:31

I guess it shows how confident he must be feeling at the moment, so he wants to go where the best players are and beat them. Excellent news, I'll have some tennis to watch next week

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 17:56

I hope Eurosport is covering it, I may get something out of my new Virgin cable after all.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 17:58

Beating Roger on his home turf would be nice, but posters like Super D Boon on v2 would say Roger wasn't trying if he lost lol!

Wonder how the Serbian Superman will get on after his layoff?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 18:02

Jubbahey wrote:I hope Eurosport is covering it, I may get something out of my new Virgin cable after all.
Think you are out of luck, however SKY are covering Valencia doh2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 19:10

Tennistv.com have Basel on their list, but only from Thursday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 21:25

thanks for the info guys... dogood

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 9:16

BOO wrote:
Jubbahey wrote:I hope Eurosport is covering it, I may get something out of my new Virgin cable after all.
Think you are out of luck, however SKY are covering Valencia

Thats a bit disappointing when Andy won Shanghai he said if he was going to play he would go where Sky had the TV rights, so watch this space, Sky may also show something from Basel. I think its great Andy is playing there, good to play a really strong field. Tsonga and Berdych are there and they are fighting it out for places at the 02 so it should be a great 500 tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 9:19

I'll miss Basel as I am currently between swapping from Sky to Virgin Media.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 9:23

CC I have Sky through Virgin Media and you can now use the red button on the VM remote for matches on the 4 Sky channels which is a major bonus when scheduling becomes hectic, they might do Basel on the red button Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 10:18

Well I don't get connected up with Virgin Media until a week next Friday so will miss Basel. Had Sky but was losing reception far too often for my liking and having to wait a week at a time to get reconnected so opted for Virgin. Hopefully, I will get a better service.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 16:12

[1] Novak Djokovic vs Xavier Malisse
Qualifier vs Qualifier
Mikhail Youzhny vs Qualifier
Marcos Baghdatis vs [7] Viktor Troicki

[4] Tomas Berdych vs Kei Nishikori
Andreas vs Gilles Muller
J├╝rgen Melzer vs Donald Young
Qualifier vs [5] Mardy Fish

[7] Andy Roddick vs Tommy Haas
Santiago Giraldo vs Radek Stepanek
Thomaz Bellucci vs Jarkko Nieminen
Potito Starace vs [3] Roger Federer

[6] Janko Tipsarevic vs Florian Mayer
Michael Llodra vs Ivan Ljubicic
Ivan Dodig vs Stanislas Wawrinka
Robin Haase vs [2] Andy Murray

Ouch at Andy's draw - a list of people he has struggled against in the past. . .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 16:33

I take it that Andy is in the same half as Federer then? I'd expect him to have less problems against Haase this time and as for Wawrinka well he did beat him comfortably recently in the Far East. After that it is Tipsarevic (possibly) then Federer and possibly Djokovic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 19:49

Andy is also down to play doubles with Jamie. I bet that is why he chose to play this week. . .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 13:45

Decrepitude wrote:Andy is also down to play doubles with Jamie. I bet that is why he chose to play this week. . .

Yeah they should be defending the Valencia doubles title, so some ranking points at stake, mainly for Jamie. I don't see too much trouble with the draw, not if Andy remains in the rich vein of form he has recently been in. Should be a great week of tennis for a 500. I also note that Sky have listed Basel as the tournament they are covering when you check the listings Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 14:30

MTS1 wrote:
Decrepitude wrote:Andy is also down to play doubles with Jamie. I bet that is why he chose to play this week. . .

Yeah they should be defending the Valencia doubles title, so some ranking points at stake, mainly for Jamie. I don't see too much trouble with the draw, not if Andy remains in the rich vein of form he has recently been in. Should be a great week of tennis for a 500. I also note that Sky have listed Basel as the tournament they are covering when you check the listings Very Happy

Comes up Valencia on my forward planner (SKY) - are you sure?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 15:40

I think most eyes will be on Djoko and the state of his shoulder. It may start off OK, but get a bit sore as the event goes on. Depends how many players are going to push him early on though.

Andy does play quite well on carpet, but that is a strong field this year and Andy has his work cut out if he wants to get to the final. It won't be easy in Feds half either.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum