Seen any good movies lately ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seen any good movies lately ?

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 21:16

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. with Naomi Rapace.
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo/137815/
Not sure how the new one with Daniel Craig will hold up against the original and the book but the trailer looks like it could be good.

It isn't out yet, but one to look for.
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Life-In-A-Day/161983/

One of my favourites and not really known outside mainstream cinema.
The Watermelon Man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_Man_%28film%29 (I like the caption on the poster..."It wont happen to you, so you can laugh!)
Was unreleased for years on VHS or DVD because of its racial sensitivity.

A Canterbury Tale.
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/A-Canterbury-Tale/1682/
As you can see from the reviews not many people got the message.
To me it is about, not only the personal pilgrimage to the city and the journey of discovery, but a snapshot of a British way of life that was disappearing. Attributed to the war raging around the world at the time, many people saw the fighting as the beginning of the end, and they were not far from the truth, as WWII came to an end in 1945, British society and culture changed but what vanished almost overnight was many people's perception and memory of what England meant to them and their connection to the hereditary and history of the countryside and cities around them. War not only twisted the minds of its soldiers, but also the infrastructure of hope and destiny. It lasted well into the 50's and its not surprising given the atrocity and affliction the war apportioned to Britain's survivors. Demolish and rebuild, a new start, forget the past, embrace the future.

This film stands out for its clarity and realisation of a Britain engulfed in terror, but trying to hold on to its roots and its connection with the spirit of its predecessors in that unusual but recognisable English way of dealing with conflict and strife.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Seen any good movies lately ?

Post by Guest on Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 12:46

It seems most the reviewers on Amazon liked A Canterbury Tale .....I think I'll put it on my next order with them.

I'm going to try and get Watermelon Man, too.

Thanks for the recommendations, Jubba.

I rarely watch films....the last one I watched was Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp....it was at someone else's house....it was ok. It had amazing special effects. The best bit was at the end where they showed how it was done.

Oh, and I'll definitely be getting Life in a Day, when it's released, I think you've mentioned that film, somewhere, before, Jubbs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 16:41

Interesting selection Jubba. My film taste is much darker, good horror, but not gory. I like films that shake me to the bones and also fantasy films like Lord of The Rings.

I like the sound of A Cantebury Tale, I'll look out for that.

I've only (and for the first time ) recently put off a film that was just unwatchable, very real and disturbing. Will not be trying to watch that again any time soon Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 19:08

A Canterbury Tale has no special effects, no ambient music or shocks or anything to distract you from the story.

Its simple and effortless to watch, but requires you to clear you mind and watch it for what its worth, no expectations or you'll become disillusioned.

Don't expect a rip roaring narrative or deep un-explorable meanings, its quite straightforward and one only has to immerse oneself in the film and it can be very rewarding.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 4 Nov 2011 - 20:23

Life in a Day was on BBC2 last night......I meant to post it up on here, yesterday, but I forgot all about it Sad

I've found the link on iplayer - Life in a Day (scroll up, to see it)

I'm going to start watching it now.......not sure about the upsetting scenes.

I'll report back when I've seen it.

Did you see it, Jubbs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 4 Nov 2011 - 22:21

Some parts were amazing...... some parts less so.

Worth watching, if you have a spare 90 minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 5 Nov 2011 - 13:21

Hi Sol, I had to put it off, I couldn't bear to watch. I get very emotional when it comes to children and animals, and can only imagine what happened to the cow when I heard all the banging, eyes were shut tight whilst finger was trying to find the off button on the remote. It is a very emotive piece given the life stories of the people who appear and such contrasting lives - a child playing happily and a child giving shoe shines for a living Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 5 Nov 2011 - 13:42

MTS1 wrote:Hi Sol, I had to put it off, I couldn't bear to watch. I get very emotional when it comes to children and animals, and can only imagine what happened to the cow when I heard all the banging, eyes were shut tight whilst finger was trying to find the off button on the remote. It is a very emotive piece given the life stories of the people who appear and such contrasting lives - a child playing happily and a child giving shoe shines for a living Sad

Yes....it was shocking to hear the young boy, cleaning shoes, tell of when he used to do this when he was young! He could only have been about 8, in the film.

Horrible to see the young cow slaughtered....I shut my eyes, too, during that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 5 Nov 2011 - 15:20

I missed it, but it sounds very emotive.

I suppose we all see the world differently and have different values concerning life and these can be disturbing. I've seen some pretty horrible things in my life, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch, esp on TV, a medium where we are supposed to be protected from things like that.

To see anything killed is unpleasant, but I am mollified when the death has a purpose and not pleasure.

If anyone wants to open a conversation with me about fox-hunting, then I'll start another thread, but its a subject that arouses such conflict on both sides with neither actually thinking about the welfare of the fox.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 15:31

I'll pass on the fox hunting conversation, Jubba... I agree it is a topic that raises the blood pressure, but agree the welfare of the fox should be the priority.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 16:29

Hi MTS1....yes, it annoys me that the pro and anti brigade have never really thought about the fox, just their own issues.

I've just watched "Life in a Day" and can see how the cow slaughter was a bit distressing to watch, but I can kind of see it in a way that the world is not a nice place to be, for any animal or human being and the more that this kind of thing is aired, the more people will lobby against unkind treatment of all life on this planet. Not sure if the suffering of the cow was humane or not, as I have seen a horse slaughtered in a surprisingly humane way with a knife, I won't go into detail, but was horrified to see the implement used, but totally taken aback by the way the horse died in such a peaceful manner, considering the place and way in which it was butchered. The fact that the abattoir was foreign and we know what they can be like abroad with animal welfare, this guy was more concerned with the horse and advertising his method of slaughter than putting enough horses through the mill to keep the quota up, or so it seemed.

Have just started watching the "Life on Mars" series for the 3rd time, its a fun throwback for nostalgia seekers like me.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 19:58

I've actually got on one of my many list to do's to watch Life on Mars. its one of the things I'll get round to eventually, it got great reviews. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 19:41

I'm now going to watch 'A Canterbury Tale' on DVD.

It's two hours long!

I'll report back, after I've watched it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 21:57

That was lovely, Jubbs.

I now have a sudden urge to visit Canterbury Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 10:15

Glad you enjoyed it Sol, and it does get better the more times you watch it.

A bit deep maybe for some, but rewarding for the persistent.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 15:30

Jubbahey wrote:Glad you enjoyed it Sol, and it does get better the more times you watch it.

A bit deep maybe for some, but rewarding for the persistent.

I'll certainly be watching it again.

Did you know Sheila Sim married Richard Attenborough? She's 89 now, and still looks marvellous!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 23:08

That I didn't know.

Brighton Rock was on Film4 recently, never bothered watching it over the last 3 decades, since I saw it years ago many times when I was a youngster. I was surprised by how much I had forgotten and how the story has changed as I got older.

Zardos

Now there's a strange film and weird as well, but a thoroughly good Sci-Fi flick from the hands of Mr Boorman. Sean Connery in a role not normally associated with his kind of acting, and he's good in it.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 15:04

watch the newish rise of the planet of the apes last night

it was quite good

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 21:49

I watched that too !!!! on a DVD.

Quite impressed with the connections between this and the original films.

Didn't see a single trace of Gollum either, Mr Serkis must be the top man to do skin work.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 30 Dec 2011 - 0:37

lol yes i watched it on dvd aswell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 21:05

The Inbetweeners.

Brings back so many unhappy memories of school and made me laugh immensely.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 13:57

The Beebs Sherlock Holmes goes from strength to strength, the 2nd series is an absolute gem, if you havent seen any of them, the DVD's to both series will be available on the 23rd Jan, the 1st is already out.

It'll be the best 20 quid you've ever spent if you do.

I am going to wait for the hilarious results when Hollywood tries to do their own version of this programme, remember Fawlty Towers going state side and Basil turned out to be gay, as the yanks don't understand eccentricity ? How they are going to cope with a "real" character like Holmes, not the film version of him by Downey Jr, will be interesting to say the least.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 23:26

Have you seen..."How to Train your Dragon" ?

If so, you'll like this 20min gem from the makers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR7Vj7sWgeY&feature=related

If you haven't, what are you waiting for, go out and buy it !

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 12:19

It's not my sort of film Jubbs but I can see why you like it Smile

I bet it's amazing watching it on a big TV with a surround sound system.

We're so lucky aren't we to have such amazing home entertainment systems to watch films on.

I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum