US Open considering final day to be a Monday

View previous topic View next topic Go down

US Open considering final day to be a Monday

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 24 Oct 2011 - 17:12

Yes, thats right, the powers that be are looking at permanently moving the final day to the Monday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/15394911.stm

No-one has suggested starting the event a day earlier or getting matches for the top 8 players moving a lot quicker in the 1st week, which would make it harder for the qualifiers, but I still think that players like Nadal or Murray should be able to begin their matches before the weds, as that's wasted half the week already, and lets face it, its only the semi's and final that are affected by late matches or postponed days.

Why there always seems to be an alternative day to play games between the top half and the bottom has always eluded me. The fact that one player can get a whole day off more than the other finalist seems stupid and to me illustrates a badly organised event.

You can slap me sideways and call me Judy, but there must be a more amenable way to put on a huge sporting event like the USO, isnt there ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: US Open considering final day to be a Monday

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Oct 2011 - 17:52

Yes I saw this report myself last week. I too feel it is crazy that one of the top contenders (this year it was Murray) starts their campaign on the Wednesday - ridiculous. All singles matches should be completed on the Monday and Tuesday as they are at all the other slams.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 24 Oct 2011 - 19:08

And the weather was OK at the beginning of the week, so it doesn't make any sense to keep them waiting like that. Not sure why they do this CC, but I'm sure it upsets the players rhythm and their preparation.

I'm stumped why they are even considering making the Monday the official final day, when like you say, all the other slams can accommodate the event in the two weeks available.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 25 Oct 2011 - 20:46

Totally bonkers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 12:33

Considering that a Monday final always has to have strange timing so that it doesn't affect the important coverage of college football/basketball/hockey/tiddlywinks/welly-throwing, I'm amazed that this is even being mentioned as being considered. Get rid of Stupid Saturday and play to the same timing as the other slams, you clots! Start on a Sunday by all means, anything to avoid this suggestion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 12:51

Decrepitude, no way will the organisers ever give up their dream Super Saturday even though it is a nightmare for everyone else. That being the case at least a Monday final guarantees the two finalists a day of rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 13:53

This is how the US organisers think. It's a great spectacle to have both men's semis either side of the lady's final on "Super Saturday" backed up by the men's final on Sunday. However, the players complain it's unfair for whoever plays the second semi (and we've had problems with rain previous years). Sooooooo... rather than do either of the two sensible things (ie build a roof, or get rid of Super Saturday) why don't we just push back the men's final to the Monday. Problem solved!

Only in the US...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:16

I'm not in favour of it, but like everything we come to accept it when money talks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum