A supposition of facts or An objective assumption ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A supposition of facts or An objective assumption ?

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 16:47

I'll be putting this up on V2 to see what reaction it'll get from the die hard veteran trolls. they all complain about decent articles to get their teeth into, we'll have to see if their teeth are sharp enough.

I put this to you, imagine a very near future where many of the top players are becoming more and more annoyed/disillusioned with one or two of the slams and begin to feel disconnected with them for a plethora of reasons, some personal, some professional.

Now, since the Barclays WTF event is fast becoming affectionately known as the 5th slam and there are a few countries looking to secure a masters event in their own neighbourhood (a few rich countries that is) how much would it take for those two slams to sit up and realise that they are in a serious position, not just for the historical or prestige nature of their tournament, but for financial reasons and the security of their event in the future.

Fast forward ten years from now, a Kerry Packer type wants to have a touring Slam.
ATM, the WTF tour, based on a 4 yr tenure (correct me if I'm wrong, not too sure on that data) is happy to up root and move to another part of the world, so this is not an impossibility.
Who's to say this Packer fellow, who's realised the financial gains to be had in this venture, doesn't invest a lot of his money and time into securing certain countries around the world, (some who might see this as a great testing ground for their own event and as a viable portal into the ITF's conciousness and promote themselves more easily) and set himself up as a freelance eventer, catering for the players wants and needs.

I say this for two reasons.

Recently the FO decided to stay put and not remove themselves to a bigger ground, therefore stagnating any future progress or expansion beyond the next phase of their development. This may well have a huge impact on their ability to exemplify the other slams, who are building better facilities and more courts. Wimbledon and the AO are ahead in those stakes, the USO though, is fast going to become second cousin to these two.
That is my 2nd reason, their rather strange decision to make it a Monday final, permanently.
This is tantamount to saying they will not redevelop or amend their amenities to facilitate the weather, rather extend the tournament an extra day, et al, till eventually it becomes a Weds final due to the hurricane season extending itself willy nilly.

And how are the players going to react to this ?

Along comes an entrepreneur, invites them to play in his touring tournament, guaranteed playdays, guaranteed prizemoney, guaranteed TV coverage, all the trappings, at a time of the year when the other slams are sleeping.
Along comes a rich nation, same thing, offering huge prizemoney and prestige that the top ten players will find it difficult to say no to.

Question is, what will the ITF do, can they/would they give these new hopefuls Master status, even a lowly 250 to start with ?

That is all they'd need, foot in the door, thank you very much.

Fast forward another ten years or so, see the FO falling way behind in the facility stakes, the USO already a circus act gone wrong, both losing brownie points with gay abandon......KP's touring event takes over as the 5th slam and that little country that has offered so much, it may well replace one of the failing slams that obstinately ignored its growing pains or refused to look ahead and stayed within the bounds of its historical province.

All conjecture I admit, but I feel that something wicked this way comes if both the FO and the USO fail to see the error of their ways, and it wont take a rocket scientist to see that where a gap forms, something will fill the void.

But what do you think ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: A supposition of facts or An objective assumption ?

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 18:29

Actually, if you're reading this, please don't reply to the V2 thread, I'd like to see who posts the first comment, if it gets any.

wouldnt it be funny if no-one did.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 18:31

To be honest I can't really see it happening - a breakaway circuit that is.

We'll probably get minor tweaks to the calendar that will appease the players along with tweaks to the US Open schedule but apart from that things will carry on as they are - in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:14

A lot can happen over a 20 year span. Wasn't the Australian Open once frowned upon by some of the top players, and refusals to attend in the 70's & 80's. I'm not in agreement with the Monday final, but vaguely saw that Federer seemed to ok it, I'm not sure about that! Formula 1 now has races taking place in countries that you would never have imagined, so interesting article Jubba. I'm off to see how it is getting on in v2 Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 22:11

Well, no-one imagined Kerry packer breaking away with his ill-thought out cricket touring side, but the idea was there from a gap in the market.

I'm not sure if that kind of thinking will transport itself to the tennis circuit, but it all depends how much one or two slams get complacent about their position in the world of tennis and someone comes along with enough green stuff to lure them away.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 18:32

Well after 24 hrs on V2, only the tennis related posters have reacted to the article.

Where is Tenez et al ???

I suppose I should have mentioned Nadal's talent a few more times. LOL

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 18:35

MTS1.

Overall, it has been said, "If you build it, they will come"

I see no problem with more tournaments or venues, as this allows the player more choice where to play and gives them the ability to reduce jet lag and increase training periods on each particular surface they need to practice on before an event.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum