The Book Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Book Thread

Post by Guest on Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 19:24

I must tell you about the book I'm reading, I'm halfway through at the moment.

It's called 'Dark Matter', by Michelle Paver.......it's a ghost story set in the Arctic.....I'm finding it unputdownable.

Have a look at it on Amazon......it was less than £3, with free postage, it arrived in two days! I love Amazon Very Happy

Anyway.....welcome to The Book Thread study

Back to top Go down

Re: The Book Thread

Post by Guest on Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 22:06

Amazon is Great - I buy a lot of goods including books from them and price and service is excellent.

Not really into Fiction but like Industrial History and anything connected with Railways, WW2, also Biographies & TENNIS

Ordered up your current read Sol - OK for a stocking filler Xmas present ( price dogood ) and the reviews on it were very good

Last edited by BOO on Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 22:51; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 11:30

Oh good. It's a great read......I don't often read fiction, preferring factual books, but this book has really grabbed me.

You feel like you are there in the Arctic.....I'm getting to the really spooky bit now.

There are some horrible animal bits in it.......I have to keep reminding myself it's not real.

I've read a couple more good books recently.......I'll post them up later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 15:08

A couple of weeks ago I read these two books

Library of the Dead

Book of Souls

Don't look inside the second book as it might give away what happens in the first book.

The first book was mind blowing.....so I thought the second book might not be so good but it was.

I was exhausted after I'd finished them.

I can highly recommend them both.....if you like this sort of thing Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 19:19

If you like spooky, watch "Apparitions" with Martin Shaw. Pity there is no book on the series.

You can't beat the old Ghost Story for Xmas though and MR James is a classic writer. "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas" being the one that still raises my hackles and gives me goosebumps.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 22:12

Jubbahey wrote:You can't beat the old Ghost Story for Xmas though and MR James is a classic writer. "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas" being the one that still raises my hackles and gives me goosebumps.

I've found it on Amazon

Is it one story, or a collection of short stories?

There aren't any reviews, I need more info, Jubbs, please Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 29 Jan 2012 - 20:48

Sorry Sol, I've just read your comment....

MR James was a turn of the century uni lecturer I think, but he and some colleagues would try to scare each other with ghost stories around the fireplace at night.

the BBC ran one called "Oh, Whistle and I ll come to you, My Lad" as a Xmas ghost story many years ago and it was very popular, so they did a few more.

You can buy a collection of his stories, they're not frightening. but they do give you a few goosebumps now and then. But the style of writing is good and there are no really long stories, mostly shorts.

But I'm sure, in their time, hearing them with the wind whistling in the eaves, a cold breath at the nape of your neck and shadows flickering in the dusty corners of old rooms would have made them a little more effective.

BOO !!!

Heres a good one, cheap with Reviews too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Stories-Wordsworth-Mystery-Supernatural/dp/1840225513/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327870195&sr=8-3

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 21:10

Jubbahey wrote:Sorry Sol, I've just read your comment....

Flippin' heck Jubba I posted it on the 6th Dec!

I'd actually forgotten all about myself. What are we like on here?

Anyway, thanks for that. The book looks good...I'll put it on my next order from Amazon Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 23:03

If you've got an android phone, you can free download Kindle Reader from Market Android, then go to Amazon and buy/download it to your phone. 11 stories worth, about £3.

Or you could go the paper route and never have to worry about your phone crashing and losing it all.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 21:31

Jubbahey wrote:If you've got an android phone, you can free download Kindle Reader from Market Android, then go to Amazon and buy/download it to your phone. 11 stories worth, about £3.

Or you could go the paper route and never have to worry about your phone crashing and losing it all.

Thanks Jubbs, I think I'll stick with the paper route lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum